Free Software for live streaming

Erik Albers eal at fsfe.org
Sat Jul 4 12:11:06 UTC 2020

Hi Patrick,

On 02.07.20 15:21, Patrick Ohnewein (FSFE) wrote:
> On 02.07.20 13:56, Erik Albers wrote:
>> there is the interest of a medium-sized German city to stream its city council
>> meetings to the internet. They would like to use Free Software, are willing to
>> spend some money for it and are looking for help now.
>>
>> Apparently there is OBS Studio in this area [1]. Theoretically, this could
>> also be possible via Big Blue Button [2]? Does anyone here have experience
>> with any of the mentioned software or in general with live streaming and Free
>> Software and can share recommendations / pitfalls?

> About OBS Studio:
>
> With OBS Studio we collected some experiences streaming jitsi sessions
> to YouTube as live streams. It works very well.
>
> The computer with OBS Studio installed needs to be strong in CPU and
> RAM. Very important is also a very good uplink to the Internet!
>
> You need of course cameras streaming video signals to the OBS Studio
> machine.
>
> What is even more difficult most of the times, is to get a good audio
> quality from the microphones. The question to be answered is: How do you
> get the audio stream in good quality into OBS Studio machine?
>
> Last but not least, consider spending the money on the person who will
> do a good direction and recording. The director using OBS Studio has to
> mix different camera sources, like ambience camera, camera focused on
> speakers and slides.
>
> We are evaluating OBS Studio as a possible solution for the SFScon[3]
> this year. We foresee the conference to be held in blended mode with
> participants at NOI Techpark and others connecting online.
>
> The main difference between BBB and OBS Studio is, that BBB is a
> collaboration platform, which allows recording and streaming of the
> session as is, OBS Studio is a tool to mix different video and audio
> sources to create recordings and streaming with the ability to have
> different scenes like speaker video on screen to the slides, etc. not
> just a plain recording of a BBB or jitsi session.

> [1] https://www.lugbz.org/tutorial-bigbluebutton/
> [2] https://hackathon.bz.it/
> [3] https://www.sfscon.it/

thank you very much for this brilliant insight, that is exactly the
information I was looking for and that hopefully helpful for Fürstenfeld Bruck
as well. I copy Tobias into the discussion who is researching solutions and
necessary technical setup for the city, so he can ask more details himself if
needed.

Best,
   Erik

--
No one shall ever be forced to use non-free software
Erik Albers | Programme Manager & Communication | FSFE