COVID-19 Hackathons: Only Free Software creates global solutions

Jens Lechtenboerger jens.lechtenboerger at fsfe.org
Fri Apr 10 06:59:55 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-08, at 08:38, Alexander Sander wrote:

> [...]
> Currently we see a lot of hackathons to find tools that help tackle the
> crisis of pandemic COVID-19. More and more governments and
> administrations are hosting or funding such hackathons. To make sure
> that the results of these hackathons can be used globally and adapted
> locally - that the software can be used, studied, shared and improved
> everywhere - the FSFE asks to publish the outcomes under a Free Software
> licence.

Hi there,

thank you for bringing this up!

I wonder about running a hackathon with free software.  Lots seem to
rely on Devpost, whose piracy policy I find unacceptable (see “Other
Information” and “Information Collected by or Through Third-Party
Advertisers/Remarketers”):
https://info.devpost.com/privacy

Any free alternatives?

Best wishes