rich services dominating in media (Re: Wiki page about Free Software for remote working)

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Wed Apr 1 10:28:47 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-01 11:39, Bernhard E. Reiter wrote:

>> Meanwhile, asynchronous communications like e-mail keep
>> getting the job done for many, despite continuing threats from the forces
>> of consolidation and monopolisation towards independent mail (and Web)
>> service providers.
> It would be very cool to have an article to show how other collboration
> methods like wikis, fileshareing and email can help remote working.
> However it must be non-lecturing in tone to be useful in my view.

I've been working a lot remotely the last couple of years. While my
company is based in Aarhus and Copenhagen, more or less coincidentally
I've spent a long time on projects where *all* of my co-workers are
located in Copenhagen.

While a lot of communication goes through asynchronous, written media -
email, Redmine tickets, Rocket Chat - high-quality video conferencing is
also very important. As we know, people sometimes fail to communicate
well in written media and thus misunderstandings can arise.

Telephone/audio conferencing is already much better, but being able to
see the person(s) you're talking with increases the communication
bandwidth very significantly. So e-mail is indeed very important, but
for many, so is the more advanced options, especially video conferencing
with screen sharing. Luckily, Jitsi Meet can do this without too many
problems.

Best,
Carsten