SailfishOS Re: Fairphone 3

Bernhard E. Reiter bernhard at fsfe.org
Wed Sep 25 11:26:20 UTC 2019

Hi Michael,

Am Mittwoch 25 September 2019 10:04:38 schrieb Michael Kesper:
> On 23.09.19 10:05, Bernhard E. Reiter wrote:
> > That is also a mobile phone operating system which (limited) success is
> > based on Free Software a lot.
>
> Sailfish is not completely Free Software:

yes, just like 99.9% of real-world Android running devices.
Some parts like the oFono Sailfish seems to be more Free Software
than what Android does, but I am not sure.

> I know purism pays some developers to integrate a full
> Gnome platform with a custom shell (phosh).
> To my humble knowledge this seems to be the most active
> fully free software stack right now (other than AOSP)
> which can be implemented on real hardware phones.

But there are no real world phones (so far)
and Purism seems to re-implement a lot of components,
which is a risk. I hope they succeed (and participated
in their fundraiser), but it is not a real life option yet.

Regards,
Bernhard

--
FSFE -- Founding Member     Support our work for Free Software:
blogs.fsfe.org/bernhard     https://fsfe.org/donate | contribute