[nomination]for Fellowship Council renewal and activism

Christian Imhorst christian.imhorst at fsfe.org
Mon Sep 16 17:24:18 UTC 2019

Hi Florian,

sorry for my late reply.

Am 28.05.19 um 07:26 schrieb Florian Snow:
> Christian Imhorst <christian.imhorst at fsfe.org> writes:
>> We need more diversity in the Free Software movement, because it means
>> respecting people as they are, without prejudice. Diversity brings
>> solutions to complex problems of the present and the future we can not
>> handle with solutions from the past. This requires people who see the
>> world with different eyes. People have to be able to contribute to the
>> Free Software movement with their whole personality as they are.
>
> I completely agree!  We are actively taking steps to make our staff and
> teams more diverse.  It is by no means an easy task because the pool of
> active contributors that we usually draw from for our teams, is not very
> diverse.  If you have any ideas in this regard or just generally want to
> help, please let me know.

If you want more diversity, the first question must be: Why doesn't it
work? The answer, that there are simply no woman, for example, just
white cis man is imho something made easy.

As I wrote on Mastodon: We need diversity in the FSFE to move forward
our work on Free Software and freedom. Diversity is an indicator of and
is indispensable for freedom. But how can we achieve that? We have to
remove any and all barriers for speakers and activists to share their
expertise and knowledge with the community. That means encouragement,
financial support, childcare offers, a culture of being welcome. We have
to bring voices not normally heard to our community. We need more
mentors and supporters, not heroes.

Our goals at the FSFE is inclusion not separation. And this is a really
important thing for me and fundamental for my support. And I hope that
we'll not stop at what we've achieved and that we will continue and
become better -- and I know we will.

These are my ideas in this regard and generally I want to help. :-)

Best,
Christian