OT mailing lists wit web interface

Dmitry Alexandrov 321942 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 10:41:06 UTC 2019

Lionel Élie Mamane <lionel at mamane.lu> wrote:

>>> Have you lived the heydays of Fidonet?
>
>> I am going to assume that Lionel's comment was meant snarkily.
>
> No, it wasn't. As I remember things, Fidonet echomail & netmail was more "power user"-friendly than Usenet/NNTP.

Iʼm arfaid, you missed the key point while trying to compare Fidonet with Usenet.

Fidonet was not meant as an alternative to Usenet (or e-mail), it was designed as an amateur alternative to the whole Internet, where nodes were meant to connect each other over phone lines.

So it was doomed when it became more expensive to make a PPP call than connecting the same machine via Internet, so some nodes started to provide their points with access over IP, over NNTP and later even over web-browser.

Today, I believe, even the last remnants of the Fidonet backbone do not use phone lines but Internet to stay interconnected.