OT mailing lists wit web interface (was Re: diversity (was: Re: [nomination]for Fellowship Council renewal and activism))

Harald Welte laforge at osmocom.org
Tue Oct 22 19:57:56 UTC 2019

Hi Geza,

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 08:50:48PM +0200, Geza Giedke wrote:
> I know that I'm old-fashioned in this respect, but I think for online
> discussions no better system than Usenet has been invented, but mailing
> lists are the next best options.

Full ACK.

> Is there any software that could
> provide a (bidirectional) interface between a webforum and a mailinglist?

There was the software used at gmane.org, which for many years provided
not only a web archive to mailing lists, but also NNTP access. In fact,
I believe their custom NNTP ssrver was actually the main storage backend.

Unfortunately when gmane.org went down it never really recovered, and I
believe the original source code was never released as it was deemed
unfit for any wider use by the author[s]?

It's really sad that there are no better, mailing-list
interoperable/compatible web forum systems out there.

mailman3 with hyperkitty looks like an interesting approach, but
importing the osmocom.org list archives on a 16-core machine with 32GB
of RAM took more than 3 days, at which point I deemed it as "not fit for
production".

This is getting more and more off-topic... but I realy like the e-mail
integration of redmine.  You can receive ticket updates by e-mail and
respond to them, both by e-mail and online.  But it's not a
general-purpose discussion tool, but an issue tracker.  gerrit's e-mail
integration is also getting better and better with every release, btw.

Regards,
	Harald
--
- Harald Welte <laforge at osmocom.org>            http://laforge.gnumonks.org/