diversity (was: Re: [nomination]for Fellowship Council renewal and activism)

Florian Snow floriansnow at fsfe.org
Mon Oct 21 05:03:32 UTC 2019

Hi Christian,

Christian Imhorst <christian.imhorst at fsfe.org> writes:
> If you want more diversity, the first question must be: Why doesn't it
> work? The answer, that there are simply no woman, for example, just
> white cis man is imho something made easy.

Agreed.  I hope what I wrote didn't come off that way.  I meant to
describe a challenge, not make an excuse.  When in comes to the FSFE,
there are also additional issues to consider: For us, diversity should
probably also involve geographic or cultural diversity.  These are
tough questions to solve, but I think very important for the future of
our movement.

> We have to remove any and all barriers for speakers and activists to
> share their expertise and knowledge with the community.

Also agreed.  One of the ideas to reduce barriers was to examine the use
of mailing lists vs something without as many implicit rules (and
potentially more inviting design), such as our Discourse instance
(community.fsfe.org).  I would be interested to hear what you and others
on here think.  Have you tried out the platform yet?  If yes, what do
you think.  If not, why not?

Happy hacking!
Florian