FSFE-in-2020: Who are we?

Bernhard E. Reiter bernhard at fsfe.org
Tue Oct 8 15:32:26 UTC 2019

Hi Paul,

Am Freitag 08 Februar 2019 01:40:40 schrieb Paul Boddie:
> On Friday 11. August 2017 12.54.53 Jonas Oberg wrote:
> >   https://fsfe.org/news/2017/news-20170811-01.en.html
> >
> > As you know, when the FSFE was founded, we put together a document
> > describing our self conception. That was 16 years ago, and while I
> > believe it to still be relevant, we'll be looking at making a new
> > committment towards a revised organisational identity later this year.
>
> Did I miss the accompanying report about this activity? In the archives of
> this list (that I have), I only see a couple of messages later in the same
> year, one mentioning a survey and another asking a question about
> responding to it.
>
> The team page on the FSFE Wiki seems to date from 2017:
>
> https://wiki.fsfe.org/Teams/FSFE-in-2020
>
> I also didn't find anything on the main FSFE Web site, either.
>
> Did the whole process grind to a halt, perhaps due to broader collaboration
> issues?

in short: Yes.

Though maybe "broader collaboration" is a bit coarse.
My personal take: the process was too heavy and it turned out it could not
deliver what was expected from it. We've also had less time of the people
available who were the ones driving it. Then other other distractions came
to be and the most important goal of FSFE is to help people learn about Free
Software, so we kept doing more for Free Software and less internal
organisational questions. (Again I believe all this to be normal for an
organisation, though we should aim for writing more about this. Sorry for not
doing so earlier and thanks for the question and reminder in the other
thread.)

Regards,
Bernhard

--
FSFE -- Founding Member     Support our work for Free Software:
blogs.fsfe.org/bernhard     https://fsfe.org/donate | contribute