Fairphone 3

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Tue Oct 1 09:35:40 UTC 2019

On 9/26/19 9:50 AM, Bernhard E. Reiter wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 25 September 2019 16:07:36 schrieb Paul Boddie:
>> On Wednesday 25. September 2019 15.17.24 Carsten Agger wrote:
>>> I send the following question to Fairphone support:
>>> "I'm interested in buying a Fairphone 3, but I'm not interested in
> Thanks for requesting this,
> I think it is helpful if potential customers voice their preferences
> for Free Software.
I got this response from Fairphone:

"For Fairphone 2, we offered also Fairphone Open
<https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032971751>, an OS
that does not have Google services pre-installed.

*We are currently investigating the possibility of bringing back FP Open
on Fairphone 3.*

It is still possible to install alternative operating systems on our
Fairphone 3 (advanced users can unlock the bootloader - but this voids
the warranty
<https://www.fairphone.com/en/legal/fairphone-3-warranty/>!), however,
*we do not offer support for any different OS*."

The "Fairphone Open" option looks interesting, but the thing about
voiding the warranty if you unlock the bootloader is /not good enough/.

It is, on the other hand, completely understandable that they can't
offer support for other OS's.