Voting and Free Software

Gian-Maria Daffré giammi at fsfe.org
Tue Nov 12 12:23:42 UTC 2019

Hello,

Matthias Kirschner <mk at fsfe.org> writes:

> * Richard Stallman [2019-11-06 04:33 +0100]:
>> I am against using computers to enter votes.
>> See stallman.org/evoting.html.
>
> Thank you for the pointer. I did not know about that page.

Meanwhile in Switzerland... (Text in German)
https://www.nzz.ch/schweiz/informatikpanne-in-freiburg-lieber-etwas-weniger-40-und-dafuer-wieder-mehr-exakt-ld.1521039

Short summary: Computer chaos at elections with e-voting in Freiburg, Switzerland

According to the timetable of the State Chancellery, the final results
should have been published in the early afternoon. But then suddenly
nothing worked any more, in at least two districts there were problems
with the transmission of the voting results. The journalists began to
add up the results from the municipalities themselves. The problem
lasted more than 8 hours (apparently from 13 to 21:15).

Even before all the municipalities had been counted, the CVP party
leadership announced that it would appeal "in view of the confusion" if
the final result was close. In other words, it no longer had absolute
confidence that the result communicated would actually meet the will of
the voters.

--
I kindly ask you not to send me attachments in proprietary file
formats, use open standards like PDF, HTML, RTF or plain text.