Voting and Free Software

Matthias Kirschner mk at fsfe.org
Tue Nov 5 07:55:31 UTC 2019

There is an interesting article on LWN about Free Software and voting:
https://lwn.net/Articles/797557/

Several commenters argued that electronic voting itself should not be
done. E.g. one of the first commenters (Roberto) wrote that:

  It is indeed pretty sad to see that in 2019 we still need to explain,
  again and again, why electronic voting is not feasible.  I have been
  involved in public debate about electronic voting since the early
  2000, when it was unfortunately introduced in France.  Here is a
  recent summary of the key points, in English, that should make a nice
  reading.

  http://www.dicosmo.org/MyOpinions/index.php?post/2016/02/25/A-rule-of-thumb-for-assessing-electronic-voting-systems

Do you agree with this criticism or what do you think about that topic?

Best regards,
Matthias

PS: Btw. there was also a good episode of John Oliver explaining this to
a broader audience: $youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svEuG_ekNT0

--
Matthias Kirschner - President - Free Software Foundation Europe
Schönhauser Allee 6/7, 10119 Berlin, Germany | t +49-30-27595290