Fairphone lessons

Johannes Zarl-Zierl jzarl at fsfe.org
Fri May 17 10:19:36 UTC 2019

Am Donnerstag, 16. Mai 2019, 14:29:28 CEST schrieb Paul Boddie:
> On Wednesday 15. May 2019 12.51.36 Bernhard E. Reiter wrote:
> > Am Dienstag 14 Mai 2019 13:24:28 schrieb Paul Boddie:
> > > These are presumably the same apologists for phone manufacturers trying
> > > cut warranty terms where I live: people who openly said that they bought
> > > new phone every six months, that longer warranties would make phones
> > > more
> > > expensive, and that nobody needed them anyway (presumably because at six
> > > months, they would sell their phone to some hapless buyer or fake up
> > > some
> > > kind of insurance claim).
>
> Just to give some more context here, the argument went that phones should
> have a substantially shorter warranty than household appliances like
> washing machines (which I think was, maybe still is, five years) despite
> being more expensive in many cases. One can argue that washing machines and
> other appliances undergo substantially more physical stress than phones,
> which was usually the reason for failure and warranty claims.

While I think that warranties for electronics could and should be longer, I
think the comparison to household appliances is unfair.

Mobile phones may undergo less physical stress than washing mashines in
absolute terms, but operate withing much tighter tolerances. In other words,
there are plenty of places on my washing machine where hitting it with a
hammer would do minimal damage. The same is not true for a mobile phone, and
simply cannot be true due to physical constraints...

Cheers,
  Johannes