FSFE support for Pirate Party at EU Election on Free Software?

Max Mehl max.mehl at fsfe.org
Mon May 13 12:19:07 UTC 2019

Hi Fabio,

~ Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) - lists [2019-05-12 19:44 +0200]:
> i'm supporting Pirate Party (in Italy) for EU Election, i'm a strong
> free software advocate, and in the common european pirate party program
>
> (the same program in 9 EU states), there's a clear commitment on Free
> Software and the use/production of Free Software by Public
> Administration (100% in line with the campaign public code, public
> money).

That reads good, thanks for the pointer! It is motivating to see that
more and more parties and decision-makers are picking up our goals and
arguments for Public Money, Public Code and Free Software in general.

> I would love to see FSFE to support that point of the program of PP
> publicly, calling for all free software communities across europe to
> support that trough their own communities.
>
> https://wiki.ppeu.net/doku.php?id=programme:ceep2019#free_software
>
> Is that something that has been considered?

One of the FSFE's principles is to be non-partisan. That is easier said
than done, because at the same time we don't want to generally leave
positive (or negative) developments of political parties and actors
uncommented.

However, asking our community to support a specific party because of a
positive position towards Free Software will most probably cross the
line. Therefore, I am afraid that we cannot follow your suggestion. But
since we sensitise people about Free Software and the importance of
publicly funded software to be public code, it is likely that they will
also consider parties' positions on this topic during an election.

Best,
Max

PS: For similar requests, we recommend contacting us directly using
contact at fsfe.org. That makes it easy to distribute your request directly
to the people who know most about a specific topic.

--
Max Mehl - Programme Manager - Free Software Foundation Europe
Contact and information: https://fsfe.org/about/mehl | @mxmehl