Strategy and serendipity

André Ockers ao at fsfe.org
Tue May 7 05:23:42 UTC 2019

Hi Paul,

Op 06-05-19 om 17:39 schreef Paul Boddie:

> But without sustained support for any collaboration, it is almost easier,
> particularly for the software developers, to look for opportunities elsewhere.
> People see new phones coming out all the time and hope that there is a quick
> fix to be had: that everything will line up just fine and that Replicant, or
> LineageOS, or whatever will just work miraculously, that the need to focus on
> hardware will disappear.
>
> We are at the point where, unlike with desktop computers, we cannot simply
> wait for "the market" to solve the problems facing Free Software on mobile
> devices. Had a similar situation occurred with desktop computing, the FSFE
> would have been limited to "Free Your Windows" campaigns.
>
> Advocating that people buy an ancient Galaxy device that was presumably
> intercepted on its journey to being scrapped or sent to landfill, "while
> stocks last", is not a sustainable situation over time. And Free Software
> should be all about sustainability. This is where the FSFE and other
> organisations lack apparent strategic direction.

I'm thankfull that the community has provided Replicant, which I use daily.

Could Samsung create legal and/or technical problems if the Replicant
project would become "too succesfull"?

Best regards,

--
André Ockers
Supporter, Free Software Foundation Europe

Blog (Dutch) | http://o7s.eu
Blog (English) | http://en.o7s.eu

Diaspora | https://diasp.eu/i/bf035797fa6c
Mastodon | https://framapiaf.org/@ao

GnuPG public key | 0x0288A46FA7FF9A9B5BF64D6B7CD3FBC8F6005ED5

Word lid van de FSFE en bescherm uw vrijheid!
(https://fsfe.org/fellowship/ams/join.php?ams=join)