FSFE "officials" on this list (Re: The "rival" discussion mailing list)

Bernhard E. Reiter bernhard at fsfe.org
Mon May 6 08:27:57 UTC 2019

Hi Paul,

Am Donnerstag 02 Mai 2019 21:45:40 schrieb Paul Boddie:
> I would also encourage the FSFE leadership to use venues like this list to
> more fully engage with the community, even when this involves encountering
> dissent.

doing a rough count on my personal archive which starts 2016: There are about
1500 posts in this discussion list and I count about 350 from people
that are in the main e.V. which is the highst official organ in the FSFE.
So I'll estimate 20% of posts here from the "leadership".

Personally I've encountered some criticism and I experience FSFE very open to
finding ways of how to improve. To me some criticism was not constructive.
Thus I think that FSFE must limit its time to deal with criticism that is
repeating or non-constructive. We certainly have to respond to it from time
to time so that others know that loud voices may not be right (as like in
other part of the public life) and point to the information we already
publish.

Also we shall spend more time on the topics were we can advance Free Software
in society according to our constitution. Our newsletters and other articles
are full of hints that we need to spread and explain to more people. I
believe that most our supporters are supporting us because FSFE is pragmatic
about what we can do (and this includes limiting the energy spending
on "internal politics").

To make an example:
I found some of your articles on mobile computing with Free Software helpful,
we could see if we collect information about this more systematically. To
include new "fair" approaches like the Shift-phones or LineageOS-MicroG on
used phones. If some folks are interested in this a group of volunteers
within FSFE can do a lot of useful things.

Best Regards,
Bernhard
--
FSFE -- Founding Member     Support our work for Free Software:
blogs.fsfe.org/bernhard     https://fsfe.org/donate | contribute