The "rival" discussion mailing list

Reinhard Müller reinhard at fsfe.org
Fri May 3 09:46:20 UTC 2019

Hi, Paul!

Am 02.05.19 um 21:45 schrieb Paul Boddie:
> It would obviously have been far more appropriate for Daniel to merely
> advertise that another discussion venue has been set up and for him to invite
> those who are interested to sign up for themselves. As far as I know, no such
> invitation message has been propagated by this mailing list, but I do wonder
> whether it might have been propagated had it been received.

From my experience with this mailing list (and others hosted by FSFE), I
would absolutely have expected such an invitation to have been approved
by the list moderators. I see that in the past, two kinds of messages
have been rejected:

* Messages that contain offensive language, and
* Messages that violate the privacy of others (e.g. forwarding priate
emails).

> I would also encourage the FSFE leadership to use venues like this list to
> more fully engage with the community, even when this involves encountering
> dissent.

I have actually experienced FSFE as an organisation that handles dissent
in a very constructive manner. On the other hand, I see a fundamental
difference between voicing dissent on one side and personal attacks,
false claims, and conspiracy theories on the other.

Thanks,
--
Reinhard Müller * Financial Team
Free Software Foundation Europe