The "rival" discussion mailing list

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu May 2 19:45:40 UTC 2019

Hello,

Subscribers to this mailing list have recently been introduced to the
existence of a new "rival" mailing list [*] in a way that might well be
regarded as being both ill-conceived and regrettable. There may be merits in
conducting discussion on another list, but the apparent attempt to transfer
subscribers to such a list without their agreement is counterproductive to put
it mildly.

It would obviously have been far more appropriate for Daniel to merely
advertise that another discussion venue has been set up and for him to invite
those who are interested to sign up for themselves. As far as I know, no such
invitation message has been propagated by this mailing list, but I do wonder
whether it might have been propagated had it been received.

I sincerely hope that the different parties who are in apparent conflict in
this and other matters are able to resolve their disagreements to an
acceptable degree of satisfaction. Clearly, not all parties are under the
impression that their past disputes have been settled and that all grievances
have been acknowledged. Further escalation of this conflict is in nobody's
best interest.

I would also encourage the FSFE leadership to use venues like this list to
more fully engage with the community, even when this involves encountering
dissent. Doing so might help to prevent any further degradation in trust and
confidence between the leadership and the community that has arguably
precipitated this incident.

Paul

[*] This "rival" list being the fsfellowship.eu list set up by Daniel Pocock,
of course.