Fwd: [FSFE PR][EN] Copyright Directive – EU safeguards Free Software at the last minute

Bernhard E. Reiter bernhard at fsfe.org
Thu Mar 28 16:41:46 UTC 2019

Hello,

Am Donnerstag 28 März 2019 09:47:34 schrieb Christian Imhorst:
> in our last press release on the EU Copyright Directive

meanwhile we have updated the press release, because some passages
were not clear enough:

  https://fsfe.org/news/2019/news-20190326-01.en.html

Press releases often have to be done under time pressure. As we all know this
increased the chance of making mistakes and get oneselves missunderstood.

> "The exclusion of Free Software code hosting and sharing providers from
> this directive

Is a sign that the people who were shaping the current EU directive
understood our arguments that Free Software development is important for
Europe. They even understood that "non-commercial" is not enough to exclude
platforms that help to collaborately develop and share code under Free
Software licenses. This means that on this limited subject the FSFE is taken
seriously as someone to talk to.

However we were not heard about the more general aspects about the directive,
especially not about the dangers of articles 11, 12 and 13 (old numbering). :/

> Other open source platforms, such as Mastodon instances,
> have to install upload filters

The directive always was about what is "shared" on the platforms, not how it
is implemented. From what I've read it is unclear how this will be handled in
legal practice. There maybe clear ways to construct something useful for
peer-to-peer social networks, in any case it is getting harder not easier to
compete with the major "sharing" platforms from the US, so it is a clear
advantage to them.

> I urge the FSFE to argue *against* uploadfilters

We always did, though if the legislation keeps standing as it is,
- there is a tiny chance that it will be abolished in the Council of the EU -
I consider it valid to think how the bad effects of bad upload filters can be
reduced by less dangerous updates "filters". This debate may actually proof
that it is not possible, however.

Regards,
Bernhard

--
FSFE -- Founding Member     Support our work for Free Software:
blogs.fsfe.org/bernhard     https://fsfe.org/donate | contribute