vscode - any known Free Software builds/packages?

Bernhard E. Reiter bernhard at fsfe.org
Thu Jan 31 16:17:43 UTC 2019

Hi,
there is an MIT licensed base version called "vscode"
which the proprietary version of Microsoft Visual Studio Code
is based, which seems to be getting more popular.

Does somebody know of Free Software re-building or packaging efforts?

Best Regards,
Bernhard

== Details
https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/60#issuecomment-161792005
"We build on top of the vscode code base we just open sourced and we release
it under a standard, pre-release Microsoft license."

"We clone the vscode repository, we lay down a customized product.json that
has Microsoft specific functionality (telemetry, gallery, logo, etc.), and
then produce a build that we release under our license."

"When you clone and build from the vscode repo, none of these endpoints are
configured in the default product.json. Therefore, you generate a "clean"
build, without the Microsoft customizations, which is by default licensed
under the MIT license"

--
FSFE -- Founding Member     Support our work for Free Software:
blogs.fsfe.org/bernhard     https://fsfe.org/donate | contribute