hg SCM, history rewriting (Re: to git or not to git)

Bernhard E. Reiter bernhard at fsfe.org
Fri Sep 7 06:58:25 UTC 2018

Am Donnerstag 06 September 2018 22:40:49 schrieb Timothy Pearson:
> > I think you could do something similar to git with Mercurial but it
> > wouldn't be exactly the same.

> As long as the general class of functionality is present, that's fine.

https://www.mercurial-scm.org/wiki/HisteditExtension

  History editing plugin for Mercurial,
  heavily inspired by git rebase --interactive.

(shipped with hg since v2.3 (2012-08) it just needs to be enabled)

Mercurial also has a concept called "phases" where hg tracks which changes
have already be published to assist avoiding conflicts with shared repos.
https://www.mercurial-scm.org/wiki/Phases

One other feature of hg that I personally like is the ability to push and pull
from a clone via ssh. So I can use a development virtual machine with less
security requiemtns from a regular machine.
(If you know how to do this easily with git, I'd appreciate a hint to a
tutorial as personal mail. It will be possible somehow.)

   Regular machine,
   (more rights)  (R)  ----> dev machine (D)

There is no direct way from D to get to R.
I ssh onto D, work there, then commit and pull it back to R from R.
Inspect code on R and push in into the public repo.
So if someone subverts D, they can only change code (which gets inspected
on R), but they do not get R's priviledges.

Best Regards,
Bernhard

--
FSFE -- Founding Member     Support our work for Free Software:
blogs.fsfe.org/bernhard     https://fsfe.org/donate | contribute