Let us keep being friendly with each other (aka some words from your list-admins)

Erik Albers eal at fsfe.org
Wed Sep 5 14:49:57 UTC 2018

Dear all,

Exchanging opinions and discussing them in public is very important for our
community. Sometimes, discussions can become emotional and sometimes debaters
use a too offensive language although, possibly unintentionally. In the last
days we have seen some heated debates coming up on this list and individual
messages of those discussions have already been brought to the attention of
your list-admins. It also came to our attention that some of the more
offensive messages were sent from mail accounts that joined this list just
recently.

The list administration would like to help bring back a good tone and
discussion culture by moderating the discussion if necessary and for now we
set new subscriptions to the list on moderation.

But much more important for our discussion culture will be what you bring into
it. A successful method that works for many people is, that if you are upset,
then consider to keep your mail as a draft overnight and re-read it before
sending it the next day. Also it might help to keep your audience in mind:
This list has several hundred subscribers and is archived publicly on the
Internet and indexed by search engines.

Generally the best advice is to always keep in mind that:

    The Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) and its community aim to offer
    a friendly and peaceful environment for every participant at the FSFE's
    events, online and offline.

    All participants should at all times feel at ease to do so without fearing
    any form of attack, reprisal or harassment. We ask everybody to be
    respectful and considerate towards each other, especially when attempting
    to provide constructive criticism.

Thank you very much and looking forward to many fruitful and friendly discussions,
    Erik for the list-admins

--
No one shall ever be forced to use non-free software
Erik Albers | Communication & Community Coordinator | FSFE