what makes a good president and chairperson? (was: supporting our fellowship representative)

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Mon Sep 3 17:04:25 UTC 2018

On 30/08/18 10:17, Erik Albers wrote:

> And Matthias currently has full support by the staffers.

The ideal president or chairperson needs to be somebody who can unite
staff, volunteers, fellows, supporters, donors and external parties.  To
chair meetings, lead effectively and gain respect when representing FSFE
publicly, they need to be above the controversial politics we have seen
recently and acceptable to everybody.

The president doesn't have to be staff, it could be a volunteer too, we
have over 1,500 people in the community and I'm sure there are many good
candidates there.

Matthias could continue to lead the staff in the Executive Director
role, given Jonas' recent news that he is vacating that role?  Could
this be the most constructive way to move forward and close the chapter
on the recent politics?

Maybe a dramatic change of leader could also be a good alternative to
the endless discussions about diversity.  By making it a position for a
volunteer, more people might apply for it.

Regards,

Daniel