Mozilla first, now FSFE?

C. Cossé ccosse at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 10:43:28 UTC 2018

Hi Bastien,

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 2:27 AM, <bzg at gnu.org> wrote:

> I guess Sugar Labs partipates to the GSoC for the same reasons the
> Free Software Foundation does it through the various GNU projects:
> it's a way to write and promote free software that comes with no
> strings attached.

If Facebook is "guilty" of anything, then Google is even guiltier.
Everything objected to about FB applies to both.  FSF/E would
not condone GNU projects' participation in an "FBSoC", yet
GNU projects participate in GSoC.  I believe that's the classic
definition of a double standard.

But the question is: should a free software INSTITUTION use FB?

The original question was that, but https://www.fsf.org/facebook
and other docs were also mentioned above, and contain plenty
of references to "me" the individual, as well as "us" the institution.

> While it may be difficult to leave Facebook at the individual level,
> I'm sure it is not difficult at all to leave Facebook when you're an
> institution.
>
> What will FB do: show you picture of the Stallman crying because you
> leave FB?

That had me LOLing :)

-Charlie