Mozilla first, now FSFE?

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Sat Mar 24 02:20:21 UTC 2018

C. Cossé wrote:
> To me it's a question of consistency:  does FSFE not agree with FSF?  RMS
> says "absolutely no to Facebook", so then?

I asked about a similar bit of FSFE policy on 2017-07-26 and is archived
https://lists.fsfe.org/pipermail/discussion/2017-July/011731.html

As you can see the responses I received indicated a remarkable departure
from what Stallman (RMS) has said about open source's development
methodology and its practical consequences. He's quite clear to point out
in his talks and writings:

   https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html
   https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

that the two are radically different when faced with powerful, reliable
proprietary software. You can still come across articles in the tech press
that play out the very difference Stallman described so many years ago.

I bring this up in order to back up the point that, no, apparently the FSFE
doesn't agree with the FSF on all points.

Perhaps now that it's in vogue to get rid of one's Facebook account (if one
had such an account to begin with), FSFE will consider getting rid of
theirs and explain why. It seems eminently sensible to me to join with the
FSF's "not F'd" view per https://www.fsf.org/facebook.