Mozilla: "We’re taking a break from Facebook"

Adonay Felipe Nogueira adfeno at hyperbola.info
Fri Mar 23 12:35:07 UTC 2018

> irregardless of the split in our community between privacy pragmatists
> and privacy absolutists, I think we should take note of this step
> Mozilla has taken, as I believe FSFE still has a Facebook page (last
> active on September 21st as far as I can ascertain).

I would also like to note that the general problem in regards to social
networks and technology is often caused by a break in "federation" or by
players who don't federate from the start. For references see the bottom
of the page in [1].

Back in 2015 I started to use Diaspora, but not spreading it still. In
2017 I read the JS Trap article in GNU.org, and since then I've been
trying to find some time over my turbulent Bachelor's degree to submit
"JS-liberating" patches to major projects such as Diaspora. Even in that
year I did notice the absense on the formal W3C/RFC/whatever document
that standardizes Diaspora's network --- yes, they do have that in
*their* website, but not in some known standards body.

However, in the beginning of 2018 I became aware of Meltdown, Spectre
and the problems these two cause to website guests/visitors/users ([2]),
and was also informed of the W3C-recommend standard for social networks
called ActivityPub, since then I left Diaspora, went to
ActivityPub-compatible instance, and I'm still trying to find some free
time to make patches so that ActivityPub-based websites work without
client-side JavaScript, or so that they at least make their JS compliant
with GNU LibreJS markup ([3]).

Finally, in regards to federation and standards, it would be a good idea
to have laws that compel the players that deal with internet
communications and social networks to keep following the federation
standards strictly, since according to [4] --- which is mentioned in [1]
--- just publishing the standards and considering the fact that the
players follow these now, doesn't mean they will continue following in
the future, since they might be doing embrace, extend and extinguish
(EEE), which seems to be the case for XMPP non-compliants such as
WhatsApp ([1]).

[1] <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/XMPP>.

[2] <https://mikegerwitz.com/2018/01/Meltdown-Spectre-and-the-Web>.

[3] I was made aware that there is an upcoming version of LibreJS that
will make the markup much easier to respect/implement/follow, because it
will deprecate some context sensitive stuff in order to favor only a
single form of markup --- even for scripts which come from third-parties
--- but optionally allowing interested JavaScript developers to easily
propose additions to the default hash-based whitelist of LibreJS.

[4]
<https://downloads.softwarefreedom.org/2017/conference/0-keynote.webm>. Under
CC BY-SA 3.0 US, according to
<https://softwarefreedom.org/events/2017/conference/video/>.

--
- https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com