the questions you really want FSFE to answer

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Thu Jun 14 22:08:44 UTC 2018

On 14/06/18 23:48, Alessandro Rubini wrote:
> I try to post no more than once a day, for several reasons, but this is
> otrageous.
>
>> Some people may have chosen not to attend the meeting so that it
>> wouldn't achieve quorum.
>
> Such people may be polite enough to state that clearly in advance,
> since they were well aware the council were trying to find a suitable
> date for them.
>
> The date (May 26th) was chosen in order to allow you, Daniel, to attend.

The message you refer to doesn't contain any evidence that I was
actively contacted about the date, it suggests people guessed I would be
in OSCAL the weekend before and assumed, without contacting me, that I
would be available to attend an extraordinary general meeting in Berlin
on 26 May.

>> In my case, I actually went out to Albania and Kosovo for free software
>> events[1]
>
> The event, OSCAL, was on the previous weekend. You did not state that
> you would stay in the area one week more, until after the date was
> decided.

I am not FSFE staff, I am a volunteer, so I don't have to share my
travel plans for months in advance.

> There is no need to argue on these details in public. But I can't
> accept that you paint reality your way in order to play the
> mistreated and destroy trust within our community.

I am not painting reality.

I feel that in this case you have simply seen the message you refer to
above and assumed some effort was made to contact me about the date.
While the message mentions my name, I confirm no attempt was made to
contact me about availability for that date.

The real question is: why was this meeting held in May, in Berlin, where
only nine people could attend (mostly staff) and not during the
community meeting in July?  Then a lot more people, including me, could
have participated and the costs of having the meeting on 26 May would
have been avoided.

Regards,

Daniel