Public Money Public Code: a good policy for FSFE and other non-profits?

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Thu Jun 14 10:06:09 UTC 2018

On 14-06-2018 11:51, Paul Boddie wrote:

> Of course. There is a need to define the scope of such a proposal, and here
> you give an example of how some initiatives have chosen to do so:
>
>> Oh, and what about firmware? I personally shall be damned because I
>> download binary blobs to my hardware's RAM (instead of having it in
>> flash memory).
> Then again, I did mention that one might confine the scope to the tools used
> to provide the FSFE's campaigning and collaboration platform, which would rule
> out the office phones in Berlin (or wherever).
I think Daniel's proposal makes sense and could be a good and
constructive approach if the scope is defined properly, as Max pointed
about.

I would think of it like this:

The FSFE is an organization that works for software freedom and for the
adoption of free software on all levels.

As such, the organization wishes (and no-one doubts this) to use free
software on all levels in its operations, i.e. for administrative tasks,
communication, collaboration, accounts.

I'd limit the scope as such:

* We're talking of the software used by *the association* as part of its
*operations*, i.e. not about the personal choices of employees or
volunteers in their spare time.

* We're talking about software used by the organization in its *own*
operations - not that of vendors and other third parties (e.g.,
designers and accountants - if the designer prefers to use Gimp for
images that's fine, but they *are* a third party)

* We're talking about *tools*, i.e. mostly userspace software. We should
include proprietary JavaScript - so using Twitter or Google is not
"using proprietary software" because the service is proprietary, but
because they use non-free JavaScript (I mention this to align with the
FSF's position). Anything proprietary installed on staff computers for
work purposes would be listed, e.g. Skype, if someone were using that
(which I have reasons to believe is not the case)

* We're not talking about firmware.

AND, we're not talking "hall of shame", we're talking transparency and
documentation. We, as a free software organization, would like to use
only free software in our operations, but are currently unable to do so
100% because of these gaps.

I think such a thing makes eminent sense.

Incidentally, does anyone know what the FSF's position on their own
possible use of non-free software is?

Regards
Carsten