transparency about the fellowship

Reinhard Müller reinhard at fsfe.org
Mon Jul 9 19:31:07 UTC 2018

Dear all,

Am 2018-07-09 um 20:57 schrieb Daniel Pocock:
> A single fellow also made a bequest of EUR 150,000 to FSFE and they were
> not identified publicly.

Correction: We recieved a large sum out of an inheritance where the
deceased explicitly wished to remain anonymous. We never claimed that
this person was a Fellow, and to keep anonymity of the person intact, I
will also not make any statement about whether or not the deceased was a
Fellow.

> Every corporate donor who contributes over 10%
> is named publicly.  Does anybody feel that the same transparency
> principle should apply in cases such as bequests?

We clarified this with "Initiative Transparente Zivilgesellschaft" whose
rules we follow regarding transparency, and they confirmed that it is ok
to follow the deceased's wish for anonymity.

Personally, I do not see a large risk of the deceased person trying to
influence FSFE's policy in future.

> The dissemination of the fellowship statistics on the team mailing list
> stopped shortly after the extraordinary general assembly.

Huh? There hasn't been any change in this. The statistics is still sent
each Sunday on 4:00 by a cron job.

For others reading here: the statistics shows the number of supporters
by country and the development over the past months and years. It is
sent to the "core team" mailing list so that people coordinating an
activity can get feedback about the development of supporter numbers.

> I notice that
> the fellowship numbers had been increasing last year but in the last few
> months it has been decreasing.  Personally, I suspect that two factors
> may be responsible:
>
> [...]

Maybe it's the discussion currently happening on some public mailing
lists which create the impression that FSFE is mainly busy with its own
internals rather than doing actual work. It is unfortunate that such an
impression comes up, because it does not match reality.

Thanks,
--
Reinhard Müller * Financial Team
Free Software Foundation Europe