Input on anticompetitive characteristic of public code

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Jul 4 15:14:10 UTC 2018

On Wednesday 4. July 2018 16.27.52 Mat Witts wrote:

> Free Software is not exclusionary AFAIK I cannot think of any case where
> proprietary software has been refused entry to a market because of it, but
> am open to studying examples of that happening if anyone can find
> examples?

There are probably a bunch of different "concerns" raised by proprietary
software vendors. One of which is that where the public sector obliges vendors
to employ Free Software licences, then they feel excluded.

But given that public regulations can more or less stipulate anything that is
in the public interest, such as adherence to genuine standards, then
stipulating that delivered systems must be Free Software is an entirely
reasonable thing to do. Nothing forces vendors to write proprietary software,
and certainly not for everything they do.

Sadly, genuine standards are not widely encouraged and have been undermined by
proprietary vendors. This is seen in the Norwegian public sector, for example,
where public bodies make OOXML documents and even binary Microsoft Office
documents available for public consumption, after the current administration
rolled back the previously-introduced insistence on genuine document format
standards.

And there are areas where standards are happily employed by proprietary
vendors to keep a market to themselves, such as in niches where general Free
Software development efforts are unlikely to penetrate. Institutional
archiving is one of these areas in the Norwegian public sector, from what I
have learned. I doubt that the entrenched vendors wish to see such standards
loosened or dropped.

Rewinding slightly...

But Erik also wrote this:

> The point is that a main argument against publishing publicly financed
> software developments under a free licence is said to be "market
> distortion". The argument says that private actors cannot compete against
> "software offered by the state free of charge" and therewith these
> publications are to be seen anticompetitive.

Of course, this conflates the two meanings of "free", but for some vested
interests, this slight of hand is performed to push home a particular argument
whilst deflecting criticism of that argument. Nothing stops public bodies from
actually making Free Software available for a fee, although that brings other
considerations to bear.

Paul