breaking bad habits like Doodle and Facebook with, plugins?

Florian Snow floriansnow at fsfe.org
Tue Jan 23 20:41:40 UTC 2018

Hi Carmen,

Carmen Bianca Bakker <carmenbianca at fsfe.org> writes:
> If you start treating rights and freedoms as something that can be
> negotiated individually, the "powerful" will misuse this to transfer
> the rights of the "weak" over to them.

I agree, but I see this as an issue with specific implementations.  It
might be difficult in reality to allow people to waive certain freedoms
because you cannot really tell if they were coerced in some form, but
when talking about the abstract idea of giving up rights, I think the
individual should be allowed to do that.

> I'm a staunch individualist, but the individual right to opt out of
> freedom is not one that I can comprehend or support.

I also cannot comprehend it and I am not sure I can support it in cases
where the decision cannot be reversed, but a decision for non-free
software can be reversed at any point, so I think anyone is free to
decide for non-free software even if I would recomment against it.  And
just to make this clear: I think writing non-free software is a
different question and perhaps should not happen, but I have not
completly figured that out for myself yet.  :-)

Happy hacking!
Florian