breaking bad habits like Doodle and Facebook with plugins?

M lists.n.forums at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 19:50:57 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 6:31 PM, Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.pro> wrote:

> On 17/01/18 18:20, André Ockers wrote:
> > Dear Daniel and list,
> >
> > Op woensdag 17 januari 2018 11:56:21 schreef Daniel Pocock:
> >> Nasty things like Doodle, Meetup and Facebook keep popping up throughout
> >> FSFE and the wider free software community.  Even when we discuss them,
> >> it is not long before they pop up again.
> >>
> >> When people are exposed to this elsewhere, all the time, it is not so
> >> hard to understand how the FS message is being drowned out.  Our own way
> >> of dealing with these challenges may also include some bad communication
> >> habits, undermining the effectiveness of our responses.
> >>
> >> One thing that comes to mind: are there browser plugins and Thunderbird
> >> email plugins that can help people avoid visiting or linking to things
> >> like Facebook, Meetup, Twitter and Doodle?
> >
> > With the uMatrix plugin I can enable/disable connections to websites,
> also
> > when they are backdoor third party to another website. So you can
> disable the
> > connections to e.g. FB and that works on all their websites and their
> business
> > partners. It works on IceCat, possibly also on IceDove and Firefox.
> >

> As well as blocking, does it give the user any encouragement to use
> alternatives?
>
> Another thing that comes to mind after reading that book: is there a way
> a plugin could reward people for doing the right thing?  Rewards are
> more effective at bringing about change than criticism.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel

Instead of "punishing" people for using these services it would probably be
better to encourage the usage of alternatives.
But are there any good alteratives? These services usually have become
monopolists for a reason - usually offering the right kind of service at
the right time and place to the right audience.

I'd be really interested if you knew any seriously recommendable
alternatives to Doodle. There is Dudle [1] which looks promising, but its
usability is pretty horrid and comes nowhere near Doodle, and sadly feature
requests do not seem to get integrated.
BR
Michael

[1] https://dudle.inf.tu-dresden.de