34C3

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jan 12 09:25:16 UTC 2018

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 14:33, bruno at tracciabi.li said:

> out is that according to majestyx an FSFE employee and staff member
> with a "boss" t-shirt wanted to deny access to the FSFE booth to
> majestyx.

majestyx wrote:

  Am dritten Tag folgte dann leider ein sehr einschneidendes
  Erlebnis. Der FSFE Mitarbeiter (mit Endgegner Shirt) wollte mir den
  Zugang zum FSFE Stand verwehren mit der Aussage ich würde quasi über
  den FSFE Tisch hinweg Negativ-Werbung machen. Ich fragte ihn nach dem
  Beweis, den blieb er schuldig und versteifte sich darauf bei seiner
  Behauptung zu bleiben, um mich dann des FSFE Standes zu verweisen.

Content: A FSFE staffer rejected him access to the FSFE booth where he
used to help out as a volunteer.  The given reason was that majestyx was
engaged in negative advertising on the FSFE from behind the booth.  He
asked for evidence but the FSFE staffer was not able to present it.

That FSFE staffer (Erik) explained on the members only list:

  one of our supporters was acting like a wolf in sheep's
  clothing. While he was on one hand behind the booth to sell
  merchandise, he on the other hand spread self-made print-outs about
  "#fuckgooglefsfe" to criticise that FSFE accepts donations by
  google. (the print-outs were fortunately so bad and cryptic I doubt
  someone could understand what they are saying)

  Despite him insisting on his freedom of opinion, I forbid that person
  to spread these print-outs around the booth.

The background seems to be a discussion on the German list (and maybe on
some Berlin meetings) on whether it is acceptable that the FSFE takes
donations from Google.  In the aftermath of this one Berlin based member
canceled their membership which triggered a discussion on the members
only list.

I have not seen these handouts but I assume the text was in line with
his arguments expressed over several weeks on the German lists.  Erik's
reaction to ban him from *behind* the booth is fully acceptable to me
and I would have done the same.  Diverting opinions are for sure welcome
but they should not be presented in a way which let bystanders assume
that this (self-)critique is an official position of the FSFE.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner