Apply for membership and meet us at FOSDEM

Bjoern Schiessle schiessle at fsfe.org
Tue Feb 6 17:44:13 UTC 2018

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 08:39:54 +0000 Daniel Pocock wrote:

> Somebody could still require the donation to be used for capital
> reserve in various ways though: in a will, when leaving a bequest,
> they can simply write that if the money is not accepted with this
> condition then it goes to some other beneficiary.  The executor of
> the will would then ask FSFE to confirm it will be used for capital
> purposes.  e.g. somebody could write "I give 50% of my estate to my
> wife, 33% to my children, EUR 25,000 to FSFE for the purpose of
> capital investment and anything remaining goes to my cat".  The
> executor of the will would contact FSFE and if the condition was not
> accepted by council, the EUR 25,000 would go to the cat.
>
> Donors/supporters could make similar requests to FSFE in any other
> circumstances too: if the organization rejects the condition, the
> donor doesn't send the money.

That's quite off-topic, but  I wonder how this would work in practice.
Let's assume that someone would give money only to FSFE if we agree to
use it as a capital reserve. When could FSFE start using the money?
After 1 week, 1 month, 1 year, 10 years... When was the requirement
fulfilled and FSFE can use the money?

Same if for example the requirement is that the money has to be used
for "Public money, public code". What happens if the campaign is over
and there is still some money left? Do we need to give it back? Does
the money has to stay on a bank account forever?

I don't know about the legal situation. But I see a lot of problems and
uncertainty if it would be possible to enforce such rules.

Cheers,
Björn

--
Björn Schießle <schiessle at fsfe.org>