supporting our fellowship representative

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Aug 29 17:02:48 UTC 2018

On Wednesday 29. August 2018 18.35.52 Reinhard Müller wrote:
> Am 2018-08-29 um 18:17 schrieb Paul Boddie:
> > Fellowship now apparently being regarded as a failed attempt to increase
> > engagement amongst supporters, members and others.
>
> I have no idea how you come to this statement.
>
> The election of exactly one person per year from the pool of financial
> supporters into a 2-year membership in the legal association has been a
> failed attempt to improve community participation in FSFE's decisions.
> But that's something completely different.

Certainly, using the construct of the Fellowship to facilitate wider
participation in executive decision-making appears to have failed.

However, writing as someone who perceived the Fellowship as being a way of
getting involved with the activities of the FSFE, as well as something of a
differentiator from other organisations with similar goals, the decline and
elimination of the Fellowship seems to have had a negative impact on general
engagement, at least as far as I can see from visible public activity related
to the organisation.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and may have missed obvious indications
of a vibrant supporter community, but then we return to those matters of
transparency and effective communication that seem to lie at the heart of many
of the misunderstandings and grievances articulated in this and in earlier
discussions.

Paul