supporting our fellowship representative

Joe Awni joe.awni at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 13:04:42 UTC 2018

As far as I'm concerned, with out elections, my impression is it's a
staff-office in Berlin that is effectively domain-name-squatting on fsfe.org
.

On 28 Aug 2018 11:09, "Bernhard Reiter" <bernhard at intevation.de> wrote:

Hi Luke,

Am Dienstag 28 August 2018 10:18:11 schrieb lukerogers at tutanota.com:
> I never saw an association cancel the elections.  Is that legal?

that is only part of the story:
Legally there is an association based on German law to support FSFE's work
where we have chosen a minimal approach for members because those members
are legally responsible, may hold legal assets for Free Software and we
want
to be sure that it cannot be taken over. (I darkely remember that we also
had
the history and some lessons of Richard Stallman's legal associations in
mind.)

The membership of the e.V. of course has to be able to vote and legally be
responsible for the actions of the executive representatives.

In 2005 we wanted to have something like a "supporting membership", because
many people wanted to show that they are continuously supporting us
financially and otherwise as FSFE. We called this fellowship because we
thought this to be a cool name and there we no voting rights. Later there
was
the idea to get more member into the e.V. maybe even changing the legal
structure towards one that is much more open for members and refrains from
the minimal principle. This is a course of action that some in the FSFE
still
believe could be worth examining or enacting the in the future. To do steps
into this direction we started doing a temporary membership selected by our
supporting members. This was governed by the constitution which a larger
majority of the members have to agree to.

In the last years we found out that this was not working as we had expected.
Many supporting members fould the elections to be a hassle, they took up a
lot
of time and there was not as many candidates we would like to. Many time we
had to do a lot to even find and encourage candidates. After trying to fix
the situation a majority came to the conclusion that FSFE would be better
off
without those temporary seats to pursue other ways to include more people
that care for Free Software and are willing to do the hard work of a small
NGO. So the large majority changed the constituion again. In order to have
more time to be dedicated to actually working towards furthering Free
Software and organisation related to it.

> My fellowship contribution isn't going to FSFE next
> year, give the money to a local group where everything is done by
> volunteers and not careerists in Berlin.

In my conviction we need paid employees, many successful NGO have them.
The work needs full time dedication. The wages paid by FSFE are below the
average for comparable tasks.

> The FSFE transparency pages are hilarious.  FSFE chose the transparency
> checklist from Transparency International because it lets them have
> transparency credentials but their checklist doesn't ask to publish the
> salaries like the FSF and other groups.

Can you supply the link to the salary lists of those organisations?
(A quick search could't find it. Is there also information to place this
salary in comparison what people in the same place and position would get?)

In order to be able to win and hold employees, we at FSFE negociate the
salaries between e.V. and each person individually and in private. The
salaries are controlled by the e.V. members, the public because you can
divide the number of people with the published budget and see the average
numbers and the tax office because we can only pay salaries that are
comparable to similiar positions to retain our charity status.

Best Regards,
Bernhard

--
www.intevation.de/~bernhard   +49 541 33 508 3-3

This mailing list is covered by the FSFE's Code of Conduct. All
participants are kindly asked to be excellent to each other:
https://fsfe.org/about/codeofconduct