Salary details (was Re: supporting our fellowship representative)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Aug 28 12:30:22 UTC 2018

On Tuesday 28. August 2018 11.09.09 Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> Am Dienstag 28 August 2018 10:18:11 schrieb lukerogers at tutanota.com:
> > The FSFE transparency pages are hilarious.  FSFE chose the transparency
> > checklist from Transparency International because it lets them have
> > transparency credentials but their checklist doesn't ask to publish the
> > salaries like the FSF and other groups.
>
> Can you supply the link to the salary lists of those organisations?
> (A quick search could't find it. Is there also information to place this
> salary in comparison what people in the same place and position would get?)

For the FSF, you'll find the salaries of directors in the following:

https://static.fsf.org/nosvn/Form990_FY2017.pdf

(Interesting that they have some Neo FreeRunners still, and a "bagel cart"
which I had to look up. I don't envy the job of people having to make these
filings.)

This is closer to what I've seen for the FSFE:

https://static.fsf.org/nosvn/FinancialStatement_FY2017.pdf

Similarly, for Software Freedom Conservancy, the information of interest is
here:

https://sfconservancy.org/docs/conservancy_Form-990_fy-2016.pdf

In effect, searching for the legal filings for non-profit/tax-exempt
organisations should yield salary information. It is possible that some salary
details do not have to be reported on an individual basis, but under the
regime applying to the two organisations featured above, I would expect that
FSFE directors' salaries would need to be indicated.

There are other points in Luke's mail that are worth discussing, but I think
it is helpful to focus on this particular topic separately.

Paul