community feedback on GA meeting agenda?

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Fri Sep 29 08:35:52 UTC 2017

On 09/28/2017 02:22 PM, Jonas Oberg wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> In the interest of a structured debate, I'll let others chime in as well
> after this, but quickly on point:
>
>> A simple way forward, changing it to a yes/no question, may be asking
>> the GA to vote on the motion "The constitution is amended to rename the
>> Fellowship Representative to Community Representative"
> It's not as simple as that. If we were to rename it simply, then the name
> would likely need to be "Supporter Representative", as the voting body are
> those we now call supporters. A "Community representative" implies something
> more than that, so it would need to be coupled with an understanding of
> who is a part of the community, who can vote, and so on.

In practice I think it would be fair to say that the (previous) Fellows
or (current) Supporters *are* the community - specifically, the paying
part of the community, those who identify enough with the FSFE to invest
an annual amount.

The community as such of coure also includes employees, the GA and
people who "only" volunteer, but as I've experienced the FSFE it
actually does make sense to identify the Fellows as the community - and
in that sense, to call the Fellowship Representative the Community
Representative.

If that sounds of more than a "Supporter Representative", I think that
can only be a good thing.

Best
Carsten