community feedback on GA meeting agenda?

Jonas Oberg jonas at fsfe.org
Thu Sep 28 09:31:19 UTC 2017

Hi Daniel,

> This year the draft agenda includes a far more controversial topic, I'm
> surprised it hasn't been made public already.

I don't know which controversial topic you refer to, but to be clear, aside
from the common topics, this years agenda, so far, include:

 - Creation of an explicit financial reserve ("Rücklage") of 100.000 Euro
   (a matter which is largely a matter of book keeping, it doesn't
   influence our activities or work in any way).
 - FSFE to join EDRi as member organisation (proposal from the Policy team)
 - Adopting our Code of Conduct (which has been circulated here before)

The first is purely administrative. The latter two are proposals from our
working teams, where the approval by the GA I feel is merely a formality.
The decision on whether to join EDRi, for instance, really belongs with
the people involved in FSFE's policy work.

Then there are two additional points, which aren't decisions about any
particular course of action, but are decisions about whether the Exectives
should be directed to work on particular topics. These two are:

 - Whether the executives should be asked to identify strategies for more
   diversity inside the FSFE community and the GA, for next year, and
 - Whether the executives should be asked to prepare a review, alteration,
   or removal of the Fellowship seats.

The latter is owing to an earlier decision in the core team to not consider
the Fellowship as a separate entity from the FSFE, which has too often been
the case before, but to consider our Fellows as an integral part of the
FSFE, and then as Supporters of our work. So some change is needed to our
constitution regardless, but that change can and will not be taken at this
General Assembly.

Rather, the point here is whether the executives should be tasked with
preparing a change to the constitution. This could then lead to increasing
the number of seats, just changing the name of them, or something else.

Best regards,

--
Jonas Öberg
Executive Director

FSFE e.V. - keeping the power of technology in your hands. Your
support enables our work, please join us today http://fsfe.org/join