[UK] Information about the think tank Doteveryone

Heiki Lõhmus repentinus at fsfe.org
Fri Sep 22 11:22:08 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 02:31:38PM +0200, Jonke Suhr wrote:
> They are a registered charity, however I'm not sure what that entails so
> I wanted to ask if anyone who knows a lot about the UK could pitch in
> with some information (I CC'd Daniel so maybe he can forward this mail).

GO ON UK LIMITED is a charitable company. They were incorporated on 13
July 2009 [0]. I believe that, at the time, a charitable company was the
only structure in the English law that limited the liability of trustees
for the debts of the charity. So the legal form is a standard one for
charities of sufficient age, and their charity registration [1] means that
they have to comply with stringent limits on how they spend their money.
As far as I know, their accounts are also subject to external scrutiny.
So pretty much a charity like any other.

As for their commitment to Free Software, it is irrelevant whether they
support Free Software in all circumstances. It is sufficient for them to
support the principle of public money, public code to collaborate with
them on the campaign.

[0] https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/06960661
[1] http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Showcharity/RegisterOfCharities/CharityWithPartB.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=1146972&SubsidiaryNumber=0

Cheers,