[UK] Information about the think tank Doteveryone

Andres Muniz Piniella a75576 at alumni.tecnun.es
Fri Sep 22 10:52:23 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-09-21 at 17:00 +0100, jah wrote:
> On 21/09/17 13:31, Jonke Suhr wrote:
> >
> > I received a request to add Doteveryone [1] to our list of
> > supporting
> > organizations for Public Code, however I'm not sure if they are
> > truly an
> > NGO like the other organisations on our list.
> >
> > They are a registered charity, however I'm not sure what that
> > entails so
> > I wanted to ask if anyone who knows a lot about the UK could pitch
> > in
> > with some information (I CC'd Daniel so maybe he can forward this
> > mail).
> More information about the charity can be found here:-
>
> http://beta.charitycommission.gov.uk/charity-details?regid=1146972&su
> bid=0
>
> To quote last year's report:-
>
> "Go ON UK is a partnership organisation and was formed by a number of
> organisations from the business, charity and public
> sectors who wished to work together, creating an effective national
> alliance to ensure everyone has the Basic Digital Skills
> they need."
>
> jah

Short answer as Jah says above. They are a charity.
They have an online document which they shared publicly asking for
contribution. I contributed to it saying that many of their issues
might be reinventing the wheel.
I pointed them towards groups that are doing similar things such as
consumers international, fsf, fsfe, and ORG (I think I forgot about
public software). So basically, it was me who pointed them in fsfe
direction.
Some of their blogs can be found here: https://medium.com/doteveryone
Their founder is Martha Lane Fox who has the respect of many people in
UK.
I don't know what it implies to have their dot-everyone  on the links
page of fsfe but I feel that doteveryone should be consulting with fsfe
and other charities to find out what is best for ethical tech.
They also have a podcast: https://soundcloud.com/user-558357776
I get the feeling that they have just started but probably will have
strong influence in business in UK.

--
Andres (he/him/his)

HUG Director