Is lack of software freedom a valid reason for refusal?

Theo Schmidt sus2006 at bluewin.ch
Fri Sep 22 08:56:13 UTC 2017

Am 22.09.2017 um 07:12 schrieb Carsten Agger:
> * I want to park my car in the city, but it's only possible to pay by
> downloading one of two proprietary apps (real-world situation in
> Copenhagen) on my smartphone. Can I refuse to pay an eventual fine on
> the grounds that I couldn't pay?

This sort of thing is becoming more and more evident and it angers me no
end. The problem is that there are almost no true politically controlled
public-service organisations any more like there used to be, they are at
best now publicly owned, but managed like private companies.

Therefore they do what they want and are under no legal obligation to
serve the public. Most countries have in this way privatized their Post
Offices including Girobanks, telephone companies, power and water
utilities, radio and TV stations.

I expect that this sort of thing will become the norm in this
increasingly neoliberal world, as in this aspect even social democrats
and greens follow the mainstream, and I guess there is nothing we can do
about it except vote extreme left, (or maybe some cases extreme right),
or if available the Pirate Party. And of course COMPLAIN COMPLAIN
COMPLAIN! Or drop out!

Regards, Theo