Is it acceptable to use proprietary software (platforms) to promote software freedom?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun Sep 3 14:30:20 UTC 2017

On Sunday 3. September 2017 15.34.55 Adonay Felipe Nogueira wrote:
> Yes, I was replying to Mat. :)
>
> Also note that correct copyleft defense should be
> collaboration/community-oriented, not based on judiciary/litigation
> pressures ([1][2][3]). :)

Yes, this was a discussion on LWN recently. However, there still needs to be a
licence with legal force, contrary to the apparent "old boys network" doctrine
prevalent in the upper echelons of the Linux kernel development community. At
least if anyone is to make end-user rights a priority, not an afterthought.

> I wonder however... Does my message appear correctly threaded in your
> email client? For me, it does.

Yes, but I don't tend to use threaded mode (in KMail) because it isn't as
convenient. Besides, mail-sending etiquette suggests that some quoting is done
to be considerate to those whose mail programs do not support threaded message
views. And also, people do not necessarily reply to whole messages at once.

Paul

P.S. I imagine that the way that KMail forgets where it was when switching
folders and views is a factor in the broader use of threaded views. Such
things probably still worked acceptably in KDE 3, but have always seemed to be
a problem in later versions, at least when seeing how related functions also
used to work but now do not, either.