FSFE in Outreachy?

Nikos Roussos comzeradd at fsfe.org
Sat Sep 2 10:27:39 UTC 2017

On September 2, 2017 11:45:20 AM GMT+03:00, Carmen Bianca Bakker <carmenbianca at fsfe.org> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>On Saturday, 2 September 2017 09:51:36 CEST Nikos Roussos wrote:
>> I don't see any discrimination here, and in general in any initiative
>> that tries to help minorities.
>
>It is discrimination by its very definition, though.  That is: making a
>distinction between groups of people.

Of people that have same opportunities. So I'd say that these kind of programs are meant to reverse discrimination imposed already in our societies.

But you are right, that to some extend we define discrimination differently. I see no discrimination because these initiatives don't take away opportunities from other groups of people. They can still contribute through other ways that already exist out there and in general favor white males.

>I very much prefer alternative methods.  I really admire a lot of the
>LGBT community, for instance, in how they approached their struggle for
>equality.  Their focus on love is exemplary, and the inclusion of gay
>characters/people in popular media -- often as equals -- has done more
>for them than anything else ever could.

Sure, but popular media are mostly in the hands of privileged people, so these examples are rare. Also part of the LGBT and fiminism community also organizes similar types of initiatives like django-girls, Ruby Girls summer of code, pyladies, cryptodinners, etc.

>> There is a well known comic strip that illustrates that fairly well.
>>
>http://comediscovervcc.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/equity-graphic.j
>> pg
>
>I know this graphic.  I choose to interpret it as class inequality, not
>gender/ethnic inequality.  Low privilege is not by any means inherent
>your gender or ethnicity.

Different type of inequalities definitely, but all are imposed by the structure of our societies. The equality vs equity paradigm is true for all of them.

~nikos