FSFE in Outreachy?

Nikos Roussos comzeradd at fsfe.org
Sat Sep 2 07:51:36 UTC 2017

On September 1, 2017 8:52:13 AM GMT+03:00, Carmen Bianca Bakker <carmenbianca at fsfe.org> wrote:
>But I am unequivocally against such programs, on the simple grounds
>that
>it tries to combat discrimination _through_ discrimination, which is
>about as silly to me as trying to achieve world peace through war.  It
>generates envy/antipathy in individuals from groups that are excluded
>from the given list of minorities, and it generates imposter syndrome
>in
>those who are, because they might only be hired/accepted because of
>their status as minority, rather than excelling in their skillset.

I don't see any discrimination here, and in general in any initiative that tries to help minorities. Treating these efforts as discrimination means that we ignore the fact that we live in a world where not all people have the same opportunities and that people of certain gender or color are privileged.

There is a well known comic strip that illustrates that fairly well.
http://comediscovervcc.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/equity-graphic.jpg

~nikos