FSFE in Outreachy?

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Sep 1 12:00:18 UTC 2017

Carmen Bianca Bakker <carmenbianca at fsfe.org> wrote:

> But I am unequivocally against such programs, on the simple grounds
> that it tries to combat discrimination _through_ discrimination,
> which is about as silly to me as trying to achieve world peace
> through war.  It generates envy/antipathy in individuals from groups
> that are excluded from the given list of minorities, and it generates
> imposter syndrome in those who are, because they might only be
> hired/accepted because of their status as minority, rather than
> excelling in their skillset.

Thank you.  Also, on a practical level, Outreachy's given list of
minorities is very different from the list usually protected by law in
European countries and I suggest that focusing on Outreachy as a
discrimination correction measure can easily mean that
non-gender-or-race discrimination is left unchallenged.

Sometimes things are fuzzy, though: is it disability discrimination to
require an intern to move to a city where only about half the metro is
accessible, or is it a necessary part of the job? Hmmm...

Regards,
--

MJR http://mjr.towers.org.uk/
Member of http://www.software.coop/ (but this email is my personal view