Berlin 2018, Workshop for a Next Generation Internet

ng0 ng0 at infotropique.org
Sun Oct 22 09:35:08 UTC 2017

To whom it may concern beyond just being affected...

the Internet is so broken, even the European Parliament passes
resolutions against it[0] while the European Commission fosters
the exploration of better solutions[1]. Some of us have been
working on a new Internet all along and continue to do so.

We would like to invite you after 34C3, to Berlin, to discuss
and hack Next Generation Internet technologies. The kind that
actually replace parts of the existing Internet, not just adds
complexity to it.

    Start: Friday, 5th of January, 2018
      End: Sunday, 7th of January, 2018
 Location: Onionspace, Gottschedstraße 4, Aufgang 4, 13347 Berlin

We're roughly a dozen coders, working on one such solution.
With a social interaction layer on top of GNUnet[2] -
called secushare[3] - we want to continue our efforts on
developing a basic communication technology for a better
democratic society in which people be free to communicate,
share information, participate in social discourse, and be
empowered to establish structures through digital means
to organize themselves and renew the idea of democracy.
A truly social network, resistant against manipulation
by DarkAds[4] and political dashboard optimization (see
Facebook's Malvinas affair[5]) is becoming a precondition
for reasonable election results.

Some updates on what we have been doing lately:

  * Debugging of GNUnet sevices, e.g. multicast, psyc, social (all)
  * UI design for secushare (all)
  * Improved documentation (Drupal to Tex to Texinfo conversion and cleanup, etc) (WIP by ng0)
  * Improving the documentation (this involved Drupal to Tex to Texinfo conversion and applying fixes and changes to it) (by ng0)
  * Rust bindings for GNUnet (WIP by lurchi, t3sserakt)
  * Refactoring the GNUnet scheduler for use with epoll / foreign language bindings (WIP by lurchi, t3sserakt)
  * Continuous integration and deployment infrastructure, with E2E tests (WIP by dvn)
  * Guix packaging (WIP by ng0)
  * GNUnet integration into GuixSD (WIP by ng0)
  * A new GNUnet website (coming up, moving away from Drupal)

At our New Year meeting, we'd like to talk about some
social, technical and infrastructural topics:

  * Where we are with secushare, and what's next
  * Our role in the European Commission's Next Generation Internet
  * The use of a deteministic debugger to get the annoying bugs removed.[7]
  * Better guidance for interested people to join the GNUnet community.
  * AGPL Licensing - Will it save us?
  * CI/CD for GNUnet, and adjacent projects
  * Fixing gnunet-fs
  * infotropique[8] OS - a GuixSD based OS interwoven[9] with GNUnet

Again, we welcome you to Berlin. If you need a place to stay
just get in touch, we will find something cheap and hospitable.
For those already around on New Year's Eve, we want to party
away the bad vibes of 2017, embrace the shapes of things to come
with good music, drinks, food, and nice people. So if you are
interested, you can already join us earlier, or meet us in
smaller groups during the whole week.

'Til then, Happy hacking!

los secushare peoples.
  xrs, dvn, lurchi, lynX, t3sserakt, ng0...

[0] http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//TEXT+TA+P8-TA-2017-0366+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN&language=EN
[1] https://nlnet.net/NGI/
[2] https://gnunet.org
[3] http://secushare.cheettyiapsyciew.onion or just http://secushare.org
[4] https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jul/31/facebook-dark-ads-can-swing-opinions-politics-research-shows
[5] https://theintercept.com/2015/04/02/gchq-argentina-falklands/
[7] http://rr-project.org/
[8] https://www.infotropique.org
[9] https://gnunet.org/git/infotropique.git/tree/ROADMAP

--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588