Free software and open source philosophies differ sometimes with radically different outcomes

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Fri Nov 17 13:58:29 UTC 2017

On 11/17/2017 02:47 PM, Carsten Agger wrote:
> Admittedly, there's a lot of lack of ambiguity or clarity here.
Argh, not a "lack" of ambiguity - there *is* a lot of ambiguity, sorry.

> Check out this very beatiful folder from one of our clients, the
> municipality of Aarhus (in Danish):
>
> https://www.aakb.dk/sites/www.aakb.dk/files/files/page/hvad_er_opensource.pdf
>
> It has a section called "What is Open Source" - and goes on to describe
> the four freedoms.
>
> And they use the bicycle analogy - "open source" is a bicycle you're
> allowed to fix.
>
> Which is really the values of free software.
Actually, I suspect they were inspired by some of the writings of our
FSFE local group in Aarhus - the folder was created about the time that
was active.

So in a way I should write to them and ask them to clarify that what
they call "open source" can also be termed "free software". On the other
hand, the exposition in the folder is so clear that I don't feel like
criticizing them for it.

People who thus learn to appreciate the values of free software under
the name of "open source" can hear about "free software" later, on other
occasions, I think. The values are more important than the words.