The 2% discussion - "Free Software" or "Open Source Software"

Jonas Oberg jonas at fsfe.org
Thu Nov 16 15:03:49 UTC 2017

Hi Carmen,

> There is a difference between the groups.  "Open Source" is a tool or
> methadology, not a moral stance or ideology like "Free Software" is.

That's a popular stance, but I don't believe it's justified. In either case,
if you hear someone talking about Open Source, you can not, from the term
alone, determine whether that person ascribes to it a moral stance or
not. You need to listen to what they're actually saying.

If they're talking about Open Source as a development paradigm alone, it
might sometimes be prudent to remind them about our ethics. The same holds
if someone talks about Free Software as a development paradigm alone.

--
Jonas Öberg
Executive Director

FSFE e.V. - keeping the power of technology in your hands. Your
support enables our work, please join us today http://fsfe.org/join