UK to "end" encryption?

Max Mehl max.mehl at fsfe.org
Thu May 25 17:01:24 UTC 2017

# Daniel Pocock [2017-05-25 15:55 +0200]:
> I wonder what this will mean for developers of free software who pass
> through British airports with software like Tor on their devices?

Well, that completely depends on how the possible regulation will look
like. Currently, I don't see a realistic way how such backdoors can be
included in software and services, especially those who have their
headquarters abroad (or nowhere in the case of distributed Free Software
projects).

  "...require big technology and internet companies to break their own
  security so that messages can be read by intelligence agencies."

According to this quote from the source you mentioned it seems the ideas
circle more around major web *service companies* (FB, WhatsApp...) and
less around said distributed Free Software projects like Tor. And well,
that you shouldn't entrust proprietary, US-based providers with your
most valuable data should be common sense in the tech community.

By the way, I doubt that the UK has enough economic power to enforce
such one-sided backdoor obligations outside of the UK. I also doubt that
such regulations would be legally feasible in the EU.

Best,
Max

--
Max Mehl - Free Software Foundation Europe - Program Manager
Contact and further information: https://fsfe.org/about/mehl